Tuesday, February 6, 2007

In My Stomach and On My Plate

For dinner I went out to the diner and had a Caesar salad with chicken. But I didn’t bring my camera. The chicken was crispy, like it had been cooked in a pan, was thin and dry. It was cooked with rosemary, which was not obvious at first, but I tasted it afterwards when I was eating the chicken without the lettuce and dressing. The dressing was creamy and salty from the anchovies, which I thought about as I ate because I really don’t like anchovies but I didn’t mind the dressing. But thinking about the salt and anchovies, I wasn’t as tempted to pick of the pieces of lettuce drenched in it on the bottom. The croutons were big, crunchy and fake buttery. They were fun to eat but I didn’t think they were the best, I can’t identify the specific taste that reminded me of something artificial. Overall, my salad was pretty good and I felt better eating it than I usually do when I go to the diner and order a burger. But I didn’t go to the diner without having some of a burger. My (fat ass) boyfriend had a buffalo burger with bacon and cheese, French fries with gravy and coleslaw. The gravy tasted like chicken gravy and I would say was not too thick and not too thin. The French fries were limp, soft and salty, and combined with the gravy tasted even saltier and felt mushier. The burger, I cant even remember what I tasted most but am sure I tasted everything on it, had gravy pepper jack cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato. Thinking back now, I remember the strongest flavor and sensation was the bacon. It was harder to chew (all the fat) and tasted salty and meaty and delicious. The buffalo burger tastes fresher and is less chewy than a beef burger. I couldn’t really taste the gravy, I just knew I ate it after it squirted out from the burger and onto my face; just what I love. The tomato was ripe and juicy, which added moisture to the bite. The lettuce was crunchy. I couldn’t really taste the cheese, which I expected to be spicy and flavorful but it wasn’t. The coleslaw was moist, sweet and mayonnaise-packed. The cabbage was crunchy, but not too, because it had been marinating in the mayo. When I got to the middle I noticed there were raisins in it, which probably added to the sweetness. I didn’t eat them because I don’t like raisins. For desert we ordered strawberry shortcake. The cake was fluffy and soft. The white icing was light and didn’t taste as much like coolwhip as I expected, not did it taste like heavy cake icing. It was sweet, but not too sweet. The strawberries had been marinated in some sugary substance like, and were soft and super sweet. The sugary substance, which the strawberries floated in, was jam like and transparent red. On top was a fresh strawberry with a nasty layer of some clear sugar coating. I tasted it and it just tasted like some gross sugar mixture. The strawberry was crisp but mixed with the taste of the sugar layer wasn’t that good.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When I came home my mom was making dinner for herself and my father. I ate some spinach pie. The outside was flaky, but not greasy like some other spinach pie I have had. The inside was sweet, the cheese and everything was moist. The spinach didn’t taste dry and make my teeth feel funny, which happens sometimes when I east steamed spinach. The whole thing was soft on the inside and barely crispy on the outer layer. The bottom layer of dough was soft and moist. The spinach pie was definitely worth eating even though it was sort of a second meal and I should probably not eat so much.

1 comment:

SaulVFT said...

Wow great insight. I liked how you described your meal while you eat and then included your after thoughts. Mmmm.