Friday, February 9, 2007

Healthy Eating - Class Questions

What food seems healthy?

I think healthy eating would be eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, soy and some animal products. Here are some things that come to mind:
Fruits – mango, pineapple, apples, papaya, berries (various kinds), bananas, tomatoes, peppers.
Vegetables - lettuce, spinach, corn, beets, carrots, onions, garlic, carrots, leeks, celery.
Grains & Wheat - barley, brown rice, wild rice, whole grain bread, whole-wheat bread, whole grain cereals.
Meats, fish and others – Chicken, turkey, tofu, salmon, cod, tuna (fish only sometimes because of mercury levels.

Here is a 3-day menu that is a little boring but I consider healthy eating:

Day One
Breakfast – Fruit salad, eggs with turkey sausage, whole grain toast with smart butter (non-dairy, not margarine), and fresh squeezed orange juice.
Lunch – A turkey sandwich with lettuce or fresh spinach, tomato, mustard, mayo and cheese.
Dinner – Salmon burgers with whole grain bread, lettuce and tomatoes, a salad with fresh vegetables and a side of roasted vegetables (potatoes, squash, parsnips).

Day Two
Breakfast – Whole grain hot cereal (like oatmeal) with maple syrup or honey, low fat or soymilk, topped with fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice or hot tea.
Lunch - Chicken soup with barley, onions, carrots, zucchini, corn, spinach, celery and spices, some whole grain bread/toast and a small side salad with fresh vegetables.
Dinner – Lasagna with tomato sauce and full of vegetables (carrots, onion, basil), toast and a salad.

Day Three
Breakfast – Strawberry or banana pancakes with whole-wheat flour and maple syrup, fruit salad and fresh squeezed orange juice.
Lunch - Tuna salad (with celery, pepper, radish) sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes on whole grain bread. Noodle soup with lots of vegetables (corn, zucchini, onions, carrots, etc.).
Dinner – Chicken baked with herbs and brown rice and artichokes with a vinaigrette sauce

In general, if I could eat anything it would be soups. I think soups are tasty and a good way to combine many healthy ingredients, I almost think I would eat soup (different soups of course) for every meal.

What should people eat?

I think people should eat lots of fresh food. I think that eating meals is important; I think healthy snacks are fine but should not have too much sugar or artificial ingredients. I think people should be able to eat what they want, but I think that if I were to control the food market I would take out a lot of the snack food and candies that are full of sugar and lack nutrients. I also think that it is important for people to eat "real" food, rather than stuff that has been processed so much. For example I think people should eat Macaroni and Cheese made with real cheese, rather than the powered stuff that comes in a box. But most importantly I believe food is something people should enjoy and if some people want to eat unhealthy, sugary things and it will make them happy, they should go for it. What is important to remember though, is to balance what you are eating and not eat too much.

No comments: