Tuesday, February 6, 2007

On My Plate

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On my plate: Pad Thai, Pad Woon Sen, Green Curry, Masaman Curry and Thai Fried Rice.

Eating The Pad Thai
The Pad Thai is a Thai noodle made with brown tofu, eggs, beans sprouts, scallions and peanuts. The noodles are soft and bigger, the strongest flavor is the peanut. When I fill my mouth with a bite of Pad Thai noodles, it fills my mouth completely and chewing is soft and full. The bits of peanuts create something chunky amongst the softness of the noodles. The pieces of tofu that look like eggs in fried rice, adds another softer texture, but because of the soft noodles and the lack of flavor that the tofu has, I don’t know exactly what it tastes like. But the tofu adds an interesting texture. The bean sprouts add crunch and moisture. When I keep chewing, the Pad Thai turns into a big ball of soft mush in my mouth, and when I swallow it goes down nice and easy.

Eating The Pad Woon Sen
These small noodles fill my mouth completely differently than the Pad Thai, they tickle and touch all the sides of my mouth, and are easy to bite apart. They don’t have much flavor, except for when you bite down and can taste the green onion.

Eating The Green Curry
This is the spiciest item on my plate. The green curry is a mixture of vegetables, including bamboo shoots, basils, bell peppers, zucchini and cabbage, cooked in coconut milk and green chili paste. My favorite ingredient is the cabbage, which is sweet amongst the spicy sauce. There is an interesting mixture of textures with the small pellets of softer rice and the crunchiness of the cabbage and the bamboo shoots and the softness of the cooked peppers. When eating this green curry, the chili paste is very spicy and burns the inside of my mouth. The coconut milk sauce that the vegetables are made in mixes with the rice and makes a sort of soupy mixture that is soft and doesn’t require very much chewing. It is easy to chew but is very spicy.

Eating The Masaman Curry
This Curry is made with chili paste, potatoes, peanuts and onions. Compared to the Green curry, this curry is not as spicy, and tastes very strongly of peanuts. I didn’t get any potatoes and ended up eating the sauce with the peanuts and onions over rice, like the soupy mixture the green curry made. The peanuts were crunchy but the rice was soft and the sauce hot (in both ways) and smooth.

Eating The Thai Fried Rice.
This friend rice tastes a lot like friend rice from the Chinese restaurant. It is made with rice, scallions, onions, carrots tomatoes and eggs. The rice is greasy, it is soft and brown but it doesn’t tastes like it’s been pan friend. The carrots are sliced in circle/oval shapes, with a zigzag pattern around the edge, crunchy in the middle and softer around the outside. They taste moist, and sort of bland like carrots usually do. The onions add a nice flavor that is sweet and tart, and are a nice slightly crunchy ingredient. The tomatoes are juicy, and don’t have a very strong flavor, when eaten with the rice they make a wonderful combination because that ass moisture to my entire mouth.

Over all this meal was fairly spicy and had a lot of peanut flavoring. The blandness of the rice complimented all the flavor of the spices, and the noodles were soft, kind of sweet and very tasty. When eating this is was also very nice to mix all the things together in one bite, getting all the flavors (which are all sort of similar) and the texture (which are all very different. This was a pretty good meal, but I must say, since the last time I ate Thai food, my friend left it in a nice heaping pile on my floor and I was not too excited to eat it again this time. But I did.

No comments: